Sunday, February 5, 2012

Planning


"A goal without a plan is just a wish"  
                            Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
                                    French writer, poet and pioneering aviator
 
Demolition day is two weeks away. Valentines Day weekend is our traditional demo day. It helps remind me that every reno is a labor of love - which comes in handy when the construction mess overwhelms me and all my muscles ache!
 
Doing this kitchen means a big disruption in our lives. Trying to minimize the chaos is part of the planning. We still have to eat! So we made plan for a temporary kitchen and a way to prepare meals.
 
The plan:
  • Pack up the kitchen and move dishes, pans etc to the new shelves in the garage
  • Move the stove and fridge to the dining room - we will have to dismantle the dining room table and store that in the "game room" for the duration
  • move the microwave to the baker's rack we currently use as a bar
  • use paper plates and plastic silverware as much as possible
  • take advantage of frozen meals, microwave foods and the grill
Staging the job is important as well. In order to have running water and a sink as long as possible we are going to strip the cabinets before we take out the countertop and sink.
 
Another plan:
 
I bought some design software a year or so ago but haven't had a chance to give it a test drive. Troy and I were having a disagreement about the orientation of the fridge and the location of the pantry. So I decided to put the design in my software to "prove him wrong". Ends up, he was right and seeing a 3D image of the finished space with both options made me change my mind.

Does anyone have any good recipes for crow?

No comments:

Post a Comment